By now, it is a well-known fact that staying hydrated brings about countless benefits towards your overall health. However, one often underestimated aspect of the importance of hydration is its impact on our digestive health. In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it might be easy to overlook the profound role that water plays in keeping our digestive system running smoothly. For this reason, homeowners should consider investing in a high-quality water dispenser in Singapore to ensure they get the proper hydration they require to ensure digestive health.
In this article, we will delve into the crucial connection between hydration and digestive health.
Impacts of dehydration on your digestive system
Let’s take a look at some of the lesser-known but incredibly significant ways in which dehydration can affect your digestive system.
Water helps in powering your food down to your intestines. When you are dehydrated, your large intestine will absorb water from the food you consume instead of the water you drink, making it hard for you to pass, and therefore leading to constipation and stomach pain.
- Acid reflux and stomach ulcers
Severe dehydration and a lack of magnesium and calcium in the body can lead to gastritis, stomach ulcers and acid reflux. This is because the stomach lacks enough water to produce digestive acid. Staying hydrated can lower the chances of these symptoms by increasing pH levels in the stomach.
- Nausea and bloating
Dehydration can even lead to stomach bloating. This is because people feel thirsty when they are 1-2 percent dehydrated. The body often cannot distinguish between thirst and hunger, leading you to eat more than necessary. It is highly recommended to drink water before mealtime to avoid this symptom of dehydration. This can also help you feel fuller, preventing overeating during mealtime.
- Permeable gut
Gut permeability, often referred to as ‘leaky gut’, occurs when the tight junctions in the intestinal walls become lax, allowing harmful substances like bacteria, toxins, and undigested food particles to enter the bloodstream. Prolonged gut lining inflammation can intensify this issue, leading to increased permeability. Staying hydrated can help prevent inflammation, reducing the risk of a permeable gut.
How to stay hydrated
In order to combat the side effects of dehydration on your digestive system, here are some tips on motivating yourself to stay hydrated.
- Invest in a reliable water dispenser
Investing in a reliable, high-quality water dispenser helps to provide you with the hydration needed to maintain a healthy digestive system. Owning a water dispenser is the perfect way to motivate yourself to drink more water, as the presence of a cold and hot water dispenser in your kitchen reminds you to stay hydrated. On top of helping you stay hydrated, water dispensers also provide clean and safe drinking water by removing impurities in water to ensure your overall health further.
- Eat hydrating food
Although 80 percent of hydration in your body comes with water and liquids, the remaining 20 percent comes from the food you eat. Consuming fruits and vegetables that contribute to natural hydration is a great way to maintain overall hydration. Some foods that can help with this are watermelon, cucumbers and strawberries. This is also a perfect solution for people who are not used to drinking too much plain water.
- Add flavour to drinks
While on the topic of people not used to drinking plain water, adding flavours to your drinks is also a perfect way to ensure you stay hydrated. Infuse fruits or ingredients such as honey, lime or lemons into your drinks to make them taste different while providing the health benefits your body needs.
The impact of hydration on overall digestive health should not be overlooked. Staying hydrated is one of the easiest ways to ensure our digestive system functions optimally. Investing in a water dispenser is the most effective way to ensure you stay hydrated and drink the recommended amount of water needed daily.
Wells offers an array of water dispensers for homes and offices that are perfect for ensuring safe and clean drinking water for all. We also provide air purifiers for dust in Singapore for added protection against harmful bacteria. Contact us today for more information!